A Season


We are currently in the middle of potty training Caleb, our now 2-year-old, and I'm wondering now, Why did we start this so soon? I guess it's because my mom says she always potty trained us as soon as we turned two. But seriously, I'm just about ready for him to go back to diapers!

Following him around everywhere, mopping urine up off of the floor because the pee shield doesn't work (why don't manufacturers test out their products!), giving him baths after he's messed himself, as well as washing dirty diapers in the toilet is all beginning to get a little tiresome. I know, I make it sound like this is my first time potty training a child, and yet we've done this twice before (of course, both of those times with girls). What's super frustrating is, he's not really taking to the whole idea. Almost every time he has to sit on the potty chair, he cries. What's kind of funny is, the madder he is about it, the more likely he is to actually be successful. I say, "Oh good, you're screaming at Mommy now; you'll be going any second. Let me know when you're done."

It doesn't help that our new dog Bailey digs filthy wipes out of the bathroom trash and shreds them up all over the hallway. Her latest trick is to take messy diapers and spread them out all over the front lawn for the whole block to enjoy. Our gracious neighbor even came over yesterday and offered to cover the holey spots in the fence with chicken wire. Bless his heart. Can we just send her back already??? Oh, yeah, the kids are attached to her.

I know this is one of those seasons of life and that I need to stop and savor every moment. I guess this is one of which I would rather fast forward to the end. And I know there is light at the end of this tunnel. My eyes are glued to it.

Comments

Popular Posts