Midnight Feeding

Out of palpable blackness, piercing through my ear plugs, comes the small wail of my newborn son in the bassinette near our bed. Instantly I’m awakened from a drunken stupor, leaving tranquil dreams in the ashes of jealous yearning. I lie still for a few moments, mournfully picturing myself leaving the delicious warmth of my down comforter, musing that the ravenous little stomach might forget about his needs and possibly even drift back off to sleep.

No such luck. Another shrill cry breaks the peace of night, and I’m forcefully persuaded to expose myself to the frigid elements of our bedroom, tiptoeing hastily to the edge of his bassinette to retrieve his warm, wiggling sweetness and bring him back to my bed for his nightcap.



I lay his tiny body close to my breast and guide his searching mouth to my nipple, trying desperately to float back off to sleep again to catch a few more rare minutes of rest until he’s satisfied. As he rashly sucks down the milk, his breath makes little screeching sounds, like the slamming of brakes as he tries to avoid a collision between his need for food and his need for air. I twinge in pain as he shifts and misdirects himself to the tip, and I shove my pinky in the corner of his mouth to loosen the vice-like hold he has upon me. Quickly he is rooting again, desperate to find the source of his last drink, and I gently relatch him.

After he empties one side, from a lying position, I prop him up across my chest and firmly pat his back, waiting for the burp that signals the okay to lay him on the other side. After he’s had his fill, I timidly leave the warmness of my bed again to change his diaper, kicking myself for not planning the births of any of my children in the warmer seasons of the year. His little legs quiver from the chilly night air, and I make hastier task of the unpleasant process. I dutifully swab his circumcision with triple antibiotic ointment and cover him with a dry washcloth in an effort to avoid the inevitably recurrent missile practice of late. While I lube his rashy little bottom with Balmex, he frowns at me, squinting in the light and holding clenched fists closely to his chest. His feet are cold, and I quickly zip up his sack pajamas, carry him back to my bed, and bring him close to me again for one last top-off of milk.

I hear a plucking sound as he unlatches, tilts his head away from my breast, and pulls slowly away from me with a smug little expression of sheer satisfaction. Sleep engulfs him again, and I wrap him snugly in a soft blue cloud of chenille, whispering sweet nothings in his crinkled little ear as I lay him back to bed.

Comments

Kate said…
You've brought back memories. I love the desperateness of newborn nursing. They're noisy little suckers for sure!

How are you both feeling? The children remember you faithfully in their prayers. And we pray for sleep though it doesn't sound as though you are quite to the rested stage yet.

Kate
Leah said…
You write so beautifully, Sara! Takes me back many years to when I was in your place. However, I must admit that I'd FLING back the covers (after fake sleeping for as long as I could), MARCH to baby's room, totally annoyed!!! But when I saw that sweet, sweet baby crying for something only I could provide, my heart would immediately soften. =) I wish I would have loved and treasured those days more, and realized how fast they would fly by, never to be enjoyed again.
Dale and Judy said…
Your writing is like the most beautiful poem, Sara. That one is a keeper! I'm so glad you've written it down because you tend to forget the rough times as well as the sweet times. They all become kind of a foggy blur of vague memories that run together. You'll treasure this memory down the line -- I PROMISE!!
Yakko said…
Just precious! Makes me cry, longing for that sweetness.
Of course, in the midst of it, I would cry, longing for it to be over! :) Little did I know!
Well, I also loved it though. Maybe it's the battle of the flesh (NEEDING sleep) and the spirit (can't get enough of that one on one time with baby!).
Beautiful writing Sara!
Love his picture too! I wanna smooch him!
Dale and Judy said…
I read your blog again and had several favorite lines:

"Instantly I’m awakened from a drunken stupor, leaving tranquil dreams in the ashes of jealous yearning"


". . . his breath makes little screeching sounds, like the slamming of brakes as he tries to avoid a collision between his need for food and his need for air"

". . . recurrent missile practice . . . "

" . . . a smug little expression of sheer satisfaction."

You're quite a writer, Sar.
Angela Nazworth said…
Woo Hoo---You won my contest at Becoming Me. Please e-mail me your address and which bookmark you'd like...you can choose anyone from Amy's site.
Sarah Markley said…
very sweet, sara. i'm glad you both are doing well!! =)

Popular Posts