Refining


Just when it doesn’t feel like the furnace could get any hotter, He turns up the heat. And it’s okay, just as long as He never leaves me nor forsakes me. I confess I don’t always carry this same tune in the midst of my darkest minutes, when I’m swirling around in the middle of the flame. Sometimes I even need to be sent to time-out…permanently. This is when I know that He is doing a work in my heart. He is refining me. And though refining is never pleasant in the middle of the process, when the dross is slowly, painstakingly heaving its way upward to the surface, it’s something from which I never want to be exempt. I want to grow closer to my God in this life, and I know there is perhaps no better way than being forced into needing His closeness, longing for His cheek next to mine, for His fingers to wipe away my tears.

It’s a hard road, but if it means I will be more like Christ at the end of it, I hope to always want to be the first to traverse it.

Comments

Kate said…
Impressive. How wise not to miss a minute of God's teaching. Good for you to get busy looking for His lessons in the midst of current circumstances. I'm sure He is smiling down on you as you fight to turn your will toward His.

Kate
Dale and Judy said…
I'm so proud of you, my little mama. I definitely see Christ being developed in you, Sar. You've always been beautiful on the outside, but I love seeing the beautiful inside shining through. I love you, honey.
Sarah Markley said…
great attitude, sara. it is such a long process it seems!
Leah said…
Just wanted you to know I got your email. I couldn't reply - doesn't look like you've made your email address public? Just a guess.

Anyway, I'm glad to know someone has heard of Okoboji! Most people don't even know how to pronounce it! Ha. I am familiar with the towns you mentioned, and aren't all that far from them. However, I don't know the names you gave me. Wish I do - I love making those small-town connections!
Leah said…
Sorry - wish I "did". Not "do".

Popular Posts