Fairytale Land

While the rest of the country flocked to the polls and then waited on bated breath to see who would be elected the next president yesterday, I was reenacting the dance scene from Cinderella with my four-year-old. Oh, to be four and carefree again! Sissy was down for a nap at around 2:00, so Abby begged to be smocked in her blue princess dress and Essie’s new Snow White heels, even if for only 20 minutes or so before it was her turn to hit the nap-wagon. So I relented, and there began our dance in the middle of the kitchen. I think I started singing the forest dance scene from Sleeping Beauty – I’m can’t be positive – but Abby squelched it by immediately humming the correct tune from Cinderella’s dance scene. Well, excuse me, Little Miss. Being, then, coerced into singing “So This is Love,” we danced shamelessly between the fridge and the dishwasher, and here we were, the strange couple, little Abby in her goodwill rendition of Cinderella’s ball gown and me, the mama prince – pregnant and barefoot. Frightful image. But I guess it was good enough for Abby.

We reenacted the full scene all the way down to Cinderella’s lost slipper, and then I swept her away to naptime so that I could take a few minutes to snap back into reality and check the poll data.

By evening, I was ready to escape Adult Land and return to fairytales again with Abby, to be anywhere but where I currently am.

Comments

Joel Bergman said…
That's good. I can imagine you guys dancing around in the kitchen. Nice image.

Popular Posts