Drops of Time

We have approximately 25 hours of Olympics recorded, and it is stuffing our already overloaded DVR to the brim. I’ve only watched about three hours of this recording, speeding through the incredibly long ads and the stilted commentary. Really, after fast-forwarding through all of the superfluous, I probably only watched about an hour altogether, which is a significant accomplishment for me of late; I have no time to watch TV.

Oh, it’s frequently on in the background, but always in the morning and only on NOGGIN or NICK, with Sesame Street, Dragon Tales, or Little Bill flickering before the unblinking eyes of two devoted fans. Morning – the time I’m still trying to down a cup or two of coffee and pry my eyelids open before saying hello to my day.

I’m marveling at how many bloggers have been able to write a blog entry every single day, some with small children. It’s certainly been a challenge for me. I find something suffers in my life from its attention, be it exercise or prayer or house-cleaning. I must give kudos to those who find the occasion to write daily and remain ever balanced with their lives. I know rising early plays into that.

For me, the idea of rising earlier than my two alarm clocks force me to is something I promptly discard. That will have to come in later years…or in distant, idyllic dreams. I tend to burn the other end of the candle, which pays me back cruelly in the mornings.

Time is very shallow in my cup. It’s often already swallowed up by three, soon to be four, other priorities – of greatest importance – in my full and blessed life. As I sit here now, I hear my husband ask, “When you’re done, can you help me work on the labels for my classroom?” And as I reflect on the days’ events, I think of how I took five rare hours off from my girls, giving them over to their devoted grandparents for the day, so that I could volunteer prep time in Eric’s classroom.

There’s hardly a drop left for me in this day; yet, I’m at peace knowing I’ve let others drink first.

I know, however, that I need to make some time to do absolutely nothing. Time to relax and just be. I shouldn’t even be sitting here writing this now, really; even writing is some discipline, however enjoyable. I should be vegging on some mindless computer game, like Zuma, or watching House Hunters or the Olympics or taking a leisurely bubble bath.

I just rarely check out of the seriousness of life, and sometimes it’s a necessary prerequisite for stable living, I think.

Comments

I recently saw an interview of a Stay at Home Mom who blogs-She has not missed a day in two years! She says the trick is to "store up" stories t post at a later time, like your post on Carey Ave, or The Uneaten Cookie. She also has "guest bloggers" post from time to time. One mom that blogs has an interview style format with friends that have interesting side jobs or other cool blogs. She sends them a questionaire and then posts the answered questions on her blog.

I want to blog everyday too, but it's so hard!
Unknown said…
Great ideas, Michelle. Wow, love the interview idea and the guest bloggers. Very clever.

And yes, it's so hard to find the time!

Popular Posts