Justice, Mercy, and Grace



I heard a story once (true story) about a pastor who was giving a sermon and trying to draw distinctions for his congregation between God’s justice, mercy, and grace. In the middle of his delineations, his children, all sitting in the front row, were horsing around during the service, being very disruptive to everyone around them. He tried to continue, but they were just too distracting. So he paused in the middle of his discourse, stepped down off the platform, and abruptly hustled them out of the sanctuary. When he returned, the children followed in tow, each with a giant cookie in their hands. Returning to the pulpit, he explained his rationale, “You see, justice would demand that I punish my kids for their rude behavior in church today, but mercy would absolve them from the punishment due. Grace, however, would reward them in spite of their wrong actions. This is what God has bestowed upon us through Jesus Christ’s death for our sins.”

That story has lingered with me ever since, not only for its application in my own walk, but also in my actions toward others. It gives me specific pause at times in my own parenting, trying to remember the difference between mercy and grace and then providing them at appropriate moments, when the kids are especially undeserving of either.

I think, also, it is a reminder that God is so full of mercy and grace, and that He, as my heavenly Father, should be my standard in guiding my own children; I should be fuller of mercy and grace toward them. How they view us is how they will view God as they grow and mature in life. I certainly want them to know a merciful and graceful heavenly Father.

So today, when Abby pouted and retorted smartly about cleaning up her room before naptime, I quickly dispensed with her consequences, first giving her a time-out and then letting her know that I wouldn’t be lying down with her today for her nap. She cried savagely, begging me to reconsider, swearing that she would change her attitude. As I picked up every last toy, listening to the pleadings of my almost-four-year-old, I held to the punishment, resolute, explaining that her behavior toward me was disrespectful and that this was the consequence for her actions. At the end of the clean-up session, I remembered the giant cookies, the grace bestowed upon the misbehaving children, and my heart melted. I sat down beside my weepy child and explained to her what grace was and that Mommy was going to show grace to her today, in that, despite her rude words and actions toward me, I would still lie down with her during naptime. Of course, I also asked her to remember what the consequences could have been today and probably would be the next time she behaved this way.

It was a defining moment of grace for my little girl, though, a moment that will, hopefully, leave an indelible mark of God's goodness toward us. For I know the grace I expressed to her in that moment will speak louder than the punishment ever would have; she knew what she deserved, and yet, she was rewarded instead.

May we remember God's grace, not only in our actions toward our children but in our actions toward ourselves and others.


Comments

Sarah Markley said…
I TOTALLY agree. Sometimes the "grace" aspect of discipline is just as important as the consequence.

good mama, you!

Popular Posts