Blogging Journey

This freewriting experience of blogging has been really interesting. It’s a little (very little) like having my own magazine, where I’m the producer, editor, illustrator, designer, writer, and proofer all wrapped up into one. There’s very little pressure, however, as there are no real deadlines, minus my personal goal of trying to write something, whether it be very clever or supremely dull, at least once a day.

And you have the option of reading at will, no hidden fees or monthly charges. You can skip the one about Madonna, if you really always hated her anyway, and move to the one about sewing because maybe your mother was a seamstress as mine was, and you are more inclined to read that particular post out of curiosity than the others, or maybe because you have five seconds to read something your friend Sara (that would be me) wrote, you’ll read a poem, like Untamed Sanctuary. Whatever you choose to read or not read, I am none the wiser, unless you post a comment or jet an e-mail in my direction letting me know what you think (and I always love to know what you think). Either way, you’re still free to read.

Topics are self-generated, which is similar to journaling every day, but without the constraints of teacher-generated assignments you might have in school, with the one exception of “Seeing Green” which was written to someone else’s preselected topic, a very difficult endeavor after a month or so of random free-choice pieces.

I must say, though, I have been surprised at how tough it’s been to find something worthy of writing every single day. Not that my beautiful girls aren’t subject-worthy essay titles, but not everyone wants to hear about the mess we cleaned up in the bathtub during Esther’s potty training trials. Trust me on this. Finding something that might be of interest to anybody but me is almost insurmountable some days. I pray about it, usually. Sometimes I’m inspired instantly; other times I sit staring at a blank Word document for a half an hour before an idea finally takes shape.

I’m excited to take this blogging journey, though. Writing has been one of my joys throughout life, especially when it’s motivated by my own creativity, my thoughts, my ideas, not the chalkboard-written “Essay Topic” prompt of the classroom.

Comments

Sarah Markley said…
i agree - sometimes it is difficult to come up with a topic!! Keep writing, Sara!

Popular Posts