Landing

I am attempting to take our lives here at home, the two girls and I, and put us on a more scheduled daily routine. It’s a little harrowing, like finally landing on the ground after happily, freely skydiving for the last four years, a freedom I’ve grown quite accustomed to. I know I should have done this awhile ago, but after years of maintaining a tight routine in my second-grade classroom, I just couldn’t seem to pull myself together enough to make it happen.

But necessity is the mother of all invention, as they say, and is what drives me to finally land on terra firma for a bit of humdrum scheduling. I hope next year to begin homeschooling Abby, who will turn four this October. I know that I will need at least a year to kick myself in gear, preparing for this all-consuming task ahead of me. It’s also of benefit to plan regularly kept spots of learning time with her now, teaching her what she should probably already know by now, like letter and number identification and formation. I’ve begun to do some of this already, but not having a set routine has weakened the plausibility of her retaining what she’s learned long term.

So I’m finally landing, and it’s a good thing. It will probably create more time for desires or goals I thought I could never have achieved. It may even allow me to refuel from time to time.

Comments

Popular Posts