Esther’s Birth – Part III

Introduction

Part I

Part II

After the infamous ultrasound, I was scheduled to meet with my OB, who I knew would have a c-section appointment scheduled for me immediately. However, he was providentially on vacation during my appointment, so I saw another doctor. This doctor was more encouraging, more favorable to the idea that I should try a VBAC. With his uplifting words, I was moved to ask if I could start seeing him as my OB instead. He was not going to be available, however, during the time of my due date, but he recommended another doctor in his group, Dr. Gollin. So I immediately made the necessary changes and began seeing her.

A couple days after this appointment, the one where my first OB was on vacation, I got a call from the hospital saying that I was due to come in for my pre-op appointment for my scheduled c-section. After seeing the results of my ultrasound, my first OB had actually scheduled me to have a c-section without my actual presence in his office. The nerve. I am so thankful to have been able to cancel that pre-op appointment, stating that my new OB would be allowing me to have a VBAC.

Dr. Gollin had tried unsuccessfully to have a VBAC herself, so she knew how important it was to me that I at least have a crack at this. She was also very heartening in the first few appointments I had with her; she had confidence that I should be allowed to try for a VBAC. Her tone began to change a little when my former OB returned from his furlough, however; she became much more hesistant, listening to his cautionary diffidence. She still wasn’t swayed from the idea of my trying to have a VBAC, though, yet she was very insistent on implementing every precautionary step known to medicine: no more than one week past the due date before a c-section would be scheduled, epidural during labor, mandatory internal fetal heart monitor, staying permanently planted in the bed during the entire labor. It appeared that although she would allow me to try to have this baby on my own, she really had very little faith that I could actually pull it off.

As my due date advanced and then passed by, my worry transformed into full-fledged fear. I really didn’t want to go under the knife again. I had been there, done that with Abby, and recovery had been extremely difficult. By the third day past my due date, I was heading down for yet another OB appointment. It’s a funny thing when you go past your due date; you suddenly feel strangely in limbo. You shouldn’t have to still be seeing the OB because the baby should now be in your arms. At this appointment, because I was at almost a week past my due date, they scheduled me to have my pre-op blood work done in preparation for my c-section. My pre-op appointment was on Friday, November 17, 2006. As ironic as our last-minute God often is, I went into labor on Thursday night, November 16, 2006. As He apparently saw fit, I was going to be attempting a VBAC.

Comments

Popular Posts