Far Less than Electronic

Gotta love Christmas for the things it forces you to do that you would never do in your day-to-day life. Today I braved the electronics section of Wal-Mart – something unheard of for me. I liken it to walking into Michael’s with my craft-happy mother. My eyes start to glaze over; I feel completely lost among the flashing lights, booming stereos, and black cords. It’s where I know I must go to get something even remotely close to what my husband might want for Christmas. But I’m a foreigner to this region of the store, and I think everyone else knows it too. I walk down the Wii video game aisle, realizing I’ve made a navigation error, and a couple of 15-year-old boys look at me like I’m threatening to tag their billboard. I turn and head the opposite direction.

Even in the electronics department, I still don’t manage to pick a gift he will actually have to plug in. I contemplated getting a TOM-TOM or a Bluetooth, but I well realize this will only force him to come back to the store after Christmas and fight the return lines, as I know absolutely nothing about either of these gadgets to actually purchase one he’d want, one he’s probably done hours of research on anyway. So what do I buy? I buy an iPod Body Glove. What’s that you ask? That’s the equivalent of an auto bumper bra. It’s a sleeve that hopefully will protect his new iPod from bug guts, or at the very least from the impetuously violent grasp of two-year-olds. I know; this is pretty pathetic for braving the electronics department of Wal-Mart. I actually thought of heading to Best Buy first, but knew I would be way out of my league in that store; I’d stick out worse than I already do at nine-months-pregnant, and I would still exit the store without anything electronic.

To ease the disappointment, I also bought him a couple DVDs – it appears he can never seem to have too many of these – as well as some socks and a shirt. So I’m hoping he actually appreciates the sacrifice I made today in heading to his favorite part of the store, even if it means I came home with something far less than electronic.

Comments

Not just did you brave the electronics section at Wal Mart, but you did so on Christmas eve...girl...that is love. :-) I hope you had a fabulous Christmas

Popular Posts