Attached at the Hip

My parents are apparently uncontactable (and if you look that word up in Webster's, you won't find it, but "un" is a prefix that always attaches, and contactable is an adjective, or at least Word allows it), and after years of living with them or a couple miles away and hearing from them at ALL hours of the day, this is quite disturbing. Okay, granted, they have left for a 40th-anniversary trip to Europe, and they have never taken a trip of this magnitude before, and when will they ever have a 40th anniversary again, and Europe IS, of course, halfway around the world; their current time zone is approximately 9 hours ahead of mine, so as I write this at 2:30 in the afternoon, they are sawing logs. This, however, is not an excuse! My mom has been updating her blog fairly regularly. She’s been on the Internet three or four times since she’s been there, but she has not been replying to my e-mail in the last few days. This is very frustrating, especially because the first time they e-mailed me, they gave me a couple tasks to complete, calls to make, and some of the calls had responses, and now I can’t relay the responses, or if I have relayed them and no further response is necessary, I would have no way of knowing because there is nothing but silence on the other end.

So anyway, this is all to say that I am NOT coping very well with their being gone; their absence echoes resoundingly, especially with my little ones. Abby is always telling me how much she misses Grandma and Papa…oh, and – randomly disconnected as it may be – the neighbor boy, Jacob, who recently moved away. This is compounded with the apparent fact that I also have no way of contacting my always-have-cell-phone-by-my-side-even-when-I’m-asleep-or-in-the-bathroom Dad. I suppose I could pull out their itinerary, find the hotel where they are staying, go to my grandma’s (since we don’t currently have long distance, or at least our card won’t place international calls), and make a call to them, but I was told that that should only be for emergencies, and my circumstance hardly qualifies.

You can see we are a little too attached at the hip, folks. This is what happens when you have the “Everybody Loves Raymond” family, and they are living just down the block from you.

So Dad, Mom, if you read this, please e-mail me....NOW! :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have been e-mailing. Those e-mails are floating out in European cyberspace, probably totally mixed up by the French and Italian and German and on and on like we are :)

Having a great time, though, and missing those precious babies so much I can taste it. Counting the days till we come home. There truly IS no place like home.

love you all

mama
Unknown said…
Hey Mom, I just replied to this comment on your blog; I'm not sure that's the best way to stay in contact, but I figure you're more likely to check your blog for comments than mine, so . . .

But here I'm leaving a comment on mine just in case I'm wrong. :)

Can't wait to see you two and hear about your trip!!

Popular Posts