The Dreaded Dishwasher

Have any least favorite chore around the house? [Warning: pretty bland post ahead]. My least favorite household task is emptying the dishwasher. Pretty crazy, huh? Hear me out. Don't give up on me yet. There are a couple reasons for this. One is my own quirky nuance: I can’t stand the feel of dry, clean dishes against my skin. Weird, I know. It’s similar to the feeling of nails running across a chalkboard. I get a prickly feeling that shutters up my neck, and I have the urge to run and apply lotion to my body or Chapstick to my lips. The same goes for touching kindergarten writing paper – the shivers. Ugh. My mom apparently has this same strange curse, and neither of us knew this fact about each other until recently. So it's not just all in my head; it's NOT!

Two, I think, is the fact that I heavily overload the dishwasher. The veil finally lifted itself off of this secret in the last week or so. Overloading the dishwasher has been a talent I have greatly admired about myself. It was something that was passed down to me from above; I inherited it from my dishwasher-overloading father -- small bowl under bigger bowl under pan. I know you’re asking yourself how the dishes above the smaller bowl get clean, but whenever I open the dishwasher after a cycle, they all come out looking, smelling, and feeling clean, so I figure soapy water must squeeze in sideways, through the various layers of dishes, and manage to get its job done. Somehow. Mysteriously. Anyway, like I said, it was passed down to me from my dad; he knows everything, I figure, so he must have a good reason for overloading the dishwasher.

Like I said, the veil has been lifted. I realize now that it’s one of the reasons why I hate unloading the dishwasher. I get an overwhelming feeling whenever I go to open it. In fact, if there are dirty dishes in the sink and clean dishes in the dishwasher on any given evening, I try to persuade myself to open the thing and get to it, but I can’t seem to wrap my mind about the task. I usually put it off, hoping the dishwasher fairy will come along and do it for me. Unfortunately, Eric is the only such dishwasher person around, besides me, so most of the time, it sadly saves itself until morning, the whole messy kitchen scene – dirty dishes in the sink, clean dishes in the dishwasher.

So suddenly the light switch was flipped on for me; I think it must have been a God thing. I find His involvement in my life is never too trivial. Really. Why do I overload the dishwasher? Is it that important that I conserve water or that I get two days’ worth of dishes inside for a full load? No, I guess it’s not. I don’t have to wash big pots and pans by hand anymore either. I can put them in the dishwasher and thereby have less to unload when the cycle’s done. I know it’s not rocket science here, but I can’t tell you the freedom I now have, knowing that a loosely loaded dishwasher awaits me. I am much more inclined to open it now. Right now. Not tomorrow morning.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hahaha. I can so relate with loathing this chore.
Thank God for kiddos!
N, unload the items that go up high in the cupboards,
K, do the tricky, specialty items, that no one else knows where they go..
R, ahh do whatever you want!
T, do the silverware :)
haha
ME?? re-load the sink load of dishes. Or assign it (pawn off job on) to N.
;)
cj

Popular Posts