Political

I’ve never been into politics in my life. My family is a strongly republican family, and almost every meal we have together includes some discussion about politics; this was always the point where my eyes would often glaze over, and I would begin to look around the table for someone else who was bored with whom to start a side conversation about the weather or about anything other than the current table topic. Yes, when my mother was an active participant in the Pro-Life League, I stood in the Life Chain for the unborn holding signs which said things like “Abortion Kills Children” and “Jesus Forgives and Heals.” That was, however, the extent of my political stage.

Then I had children.

In fact, the year Abby was born, I couldn’t even vote because I was just home from the hospital, recovering from a C-section. And the next voting year, the congressional elections, I was again ready to pop with my second child. That year, fortunately, I was able to get into those voting booths, but only barely. This year, I’m pregnant yet again, and the timing seems a little uncanny, but rather appropriate. This year, barring some unforeseen emergency, I should be able to do my patriotic duty, should even be able to fit into the voter’s booth a little easier this time, but the point where the new candidate takes office is when I will be in the hospital having the baby – January 2009.

Why do I say it’s appropriate? Because my interest and involvement in political matters has become increasingly stronger with each child I bare. It’s one thing to be concerned for the affairs of this world when you are the one who will suffer the consequences, but it’s another thing when your children are looking gloomily at the future ahead of them, a world of suppressed religious freedom, a world where gays will redefine the traditional definition of marriage, and unborn children will be stripped of all rights whatsoever. I look at all the possibilities this election for my girls and my new son in the future of our great country, and I shudder.

And suddenly I become very political.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amen! And Praise the Lord for prayer!! Our weapon that tears down strongholds!

mama
Kate said…
I agree with your assessment on the importance of voting and leaving a legacy for our children and all that but I'm smiling that you mark the elections by pregnancy. I marked house closings the same way. We have closed on house four times and I was pregnant at three of them. It's funny how we mark the time by the girth of our bellies.

Kate

Popular Posts