Blueprint in Your Back Pocket

You are all me. There’s almost nothing left of you that’s up for grabs.


From the dark tresses that topple over your forehead to the stuffed chipmunk cheeks and petite little feet, you are the embodiment of your mama. You are me in the impulse to straighten out rumpled rugs and tidy up quickly after messes, in the distaste for slimy fingers and the fear of fast rides and loud noises. I see me in your genuine passion for baby dolls and in the bossy little mama you are toward your older sister. The chameleon who mimics every sound and patterns every action after others and the pre-Mozart that sings and sways impetuously to the hint of any music echoes of me as well. Daddy keeps trying to stake a partial claim in your make-up, but aside from his cute, rounded nose, his bewitchingly hazel eyes, and his mystifying love of tomatoes, the rest of you is the unmistakably embossed image of me.



God fashioned a collage of your sister, pulling in from every direction of our sweet family, but with you he simply reused my identical cookie cutter. You are a smallish version of your sensitive, detail-oriented mommy, only I’m sure, after all is said and done, you will be the new and improved model. You won’t fear rejection or suffer from gloomy periods. You will be carefree and joyful, and you will easily attract many friends; this, you already do. Perhaps you will have your own share of shortcomings that will be true to you and only you, but along with that you will have your own set of glories as well.



But for now, you are reflective of my very heart and soul, a mirror refracting back at me; you’ve got my blueprint in your back pocket.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my goodness! From Goose bumps (last post) to tears!
This is beautiful Sar!
She is a lucky lucky (well, BLESSED) girl to be like her Mama.
:)
(even if she DOES like tomatoes!)
cj
Unknown said…
Thank you, my Chris! So sweet!
Anonymous said…
Oh my -- you brought me to tears again. This was such a nice home-away-from-home treat. I can be half-way around the world and get to be close to you and my precious grandbabies still. And your blog about Essie is sooooo true! You and she are so much alike. Dad was commenting on that just yesterday. It's like being with you at that age all over again. So much fun. Precious!!

mama
Unknown said…
Ahhhh! Mama!!! So good to hear from you!!! We miss you!!

Popular Posts